The Black Ravens
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PlanetSide Next release date in March

4 posters

Go down

PlanetSide Next release date in March Empty PlanetSide Next release date in March

Post  ZeroEnigma Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:46 am

SOE President John Smedley said that the sequel to the MMO shooter Planetside will land in March 2011.

While getting the tour of the Sony Online Denver studio, I was able to snag John Smedley to chat for a few minutes on the state of the gaming industry. We talked about SOE's biggest competitor, Blizzard, and how other MMO companies react to what the WoW-maker does, as well as what can be learned from the demise of APB's Realtime Worlds. But when I asked him to confirm whether the titles that I'd been asked out to Denver to see, Magic The Gathering Tactics and DC Universe Online, were the only games in the pipeline for SOE, Smedley dropped a bomb. Not only is he heavily invested in social and casual games, but Smedley is super excited for Sony's return to the MMOFPS genre with the tentatively titled Planetside Next. Sony has hinted at a sequel with that working title before, but this is the first time that we've gotten wind of a release window.

"We have a very big launch coming in the month of March," Smedley said. "It's a big first person shooter franchise that we're really happy with."

I took a leap of logic and asked whether it was Planetside.

"Could be," Smedley said sheepishly. "We haven't technically announced it." He then told me that I could say that he "hinted" that the new Planetside was imminent, which translates to 99% of a confirmation. "This is the farthest I've gone [discussing it with the press] and the PR people are going to shoot me."

As for why it's called Planetside Next, it appears that Smedley might have learned something from his signature franchise. "We don't have the official name for it. Planetside Next is kind of the working title," Smedley said. "We've learned some lessons with Everquest II , not one of the better moves that we've ever made. We should have called it EverQuest Something. Having Everquest I and II sit on the shelves at the same time, in hindsight, was probably not the the brightest of moves."

That's because the two fantasy MMOs are separate products which both have their own servers and audience. That will be less of a problem with Planetside, due to the small number of people still playing the 7 year old game on its one remaining server. Does Smedley think that the update will bring in more players than the first one did? Well, it's safe to say that he is excited about it.

"[Planetside Next] is the coolest god-damned game," Smedley said. "I'm so in love with that game."

I cant wait....
ZeroEnigma
ZeroEnigma
Admin

Back to top Go down

PlanetSide Next release date in March Empty Re: PlanetSide Next release date in March

Post  Kietrinia Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:50 am

SOE has a Denver office? Surprised

This is exciting! I wonder if there's any beta testing planned?

Where did you find this information, Zero?
Kietrinia
Kietrinia

Back to top Go down

PlanetSide Next release date in March Empty Re: PlanetSide Next release date in March

Post  Zclipse Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:46 pm

Should be a fun game, no other game's like planetside, they better not mess it up!
Zclipse
Zclipse

Back to top Go down

Post  ZeroEnigma Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:44 am

Kietrinia wrote:SOE has a Denver office? Surprised

This is exciting! I wonder if there's any beta testing planned?

Where did you find this information, Zero?

RasFrostwhisper told me
ZeroEnigma
ZeroEnigma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ZeroEnigma Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:46 am

ZeroEnigma
ZeroEnigma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowetome Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:48 pm

This game needs to come out already!

Bowetome

Back to top Go down

Post  ZeroEnigma Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:58 pm

You need to come back already Razz
ZeroEnigma
ZeroEnigma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowetome Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:54 am

I heard that there is zero GM's and everyone cheats.

Bowetome

Back to top Go down

Post  ZeroEnigma Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:11 am

Bowetome wrote:I heard that there is zero GM's and everyone cheats.
there's 3-4 GM's and they got rid of the free trials so no one cheats..... at least the blatant ones....
ZeroEnigma
ZeroEnigma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowetome Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Hmmmmmm. Next question how many people play?

Bowetome

Back to top Go down

Post  ZeroEnigma Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:16 am

Bowetome wrote:Hmmmmmm. Next question how many people play?
over 200 Razz
ZeroEnigma
ZeroEnigma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowetome Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Thats it? Hmm is it worth coming back for?

Bowetome

Back to top Go down

Post  ZeroEnigma Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:57 pm

Bowetome wrote:Thats it? Hmm is it worth coming back for?
It is in my opinion Razz
ZeroEnigma
ZeroEnigma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowetome Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Alright next week ill come back have no money atm.

Bowetome

Back to top Go down

Post  ZeroEnigma Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:07 am

YAY
ZeroEnigma
ZeroEnigma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down